Even though flow comes a lot easier these days, I still have moments.. you know, those times when things seem bleak.
Okay, maybe not full on “dark nights of the soul” moments - but just general bleh that you’d rather move on. I’ve already shared some of my top tips for avoiding writer’s block.
So, here are my top 10 ways of kicking that creative funk outta bed and moving on to more awesome sauce:
1. Go for a walk - besides getting away from your physical place of “stuckness” you’ll have your heart pumping and oxygen flowing through your veins. Once those endorphins kick in, it’s a natural high with no side effects or calories - and best of all it’s 100% legal.
2. Take a nap - sometimes you gotta go the other way. I used to feel guilty - like a good for nothing coconut for sleeping in the middle of the day.. until I saw Don Draper taking naps and realized there must be something to these siestas!
3. Watch engaging show or movie - speaking of which, I like Mad Men.. ok, I’ve come to love the show. Although television can be some major time suckage, great shows with cool stories can also be a source of inspiration. Use in moderation!
4. Shop & cook a meal - okay, I often go the quick, cheap route of fast food.. probably much more than I care to admit. The Slow Food Movement has grown out of realizing that maybe our parents did get something right.. try it and see how you like it.
5. Explore & find a cafe - besides a nice cuppa latte and that bohemian vibe, just getting out of your element and shaking it up a bit, you’ll benefit from a new environment that‘ll help get those creative juices flowing again.
6. Read in library or bookstore - even with more information available at our fingertips these days, there is still nothing like being in these hallowed halls filled with humankind’s collective wisdom and knowledge. If this doesn’t stir something in you, check your pulse!
7. Play a video game - I know, kinda childish right? That’s exactly the point. As a kid, we lacked inhibitions. And that, my friend is the greatest killer of inspiration and creativity - fear. So, even if World of Tanks or Poker isn’t your thing, there are tons of game apps these days. Find one that appeals to your inner child and PLAY!
8. Write about something you’re passionate about - if you’re a blogger or content marketer, it’s so easy to see writing as a grind. But sometimes it’s great to let the words flow, and write for the joy, not because you need to write something. Again, writers write. Get back in touch with associating positive, happy vibes to your craft.
9. Have mind blowing sex - well, it takes two to tango so maybe this one’s not entirely in your control. But hey if someone’s game.. another option is to actually dance orgasmic tango. Some folks have shared how tango “highs” can sometimes be better than sex. If this is also beyond you, find a way to dance - feel the music and lose yourself.
10. Help & take care of others - probably the best way to get out of a creative funk is to focus on someone else. More than likely you’ve been so wrapped up in your own worries that you just need some distance. Taking care of someone - whether it's a friend, neighbor, pet or even a complete stranger - will help put things in perspective. And again it's been shown scientifically that selfish altruism has health benefits.
So, these are my top 10 tips for getting out of a creative funk. I’d love to hear what you do when you feel stuck. What gets your creative juices flowing again?